Since opening our first shop in 1869, we’ve made a lot of Christmases merry and bright. Over the last 150 years, our food and drink offer might have changed, but our passion for outstanding customer service remains just as strong. You’ll be joining the team at our busiest time of the year and helping us to continue our tradition of creating fantastic experiences for millions of customers.
Whilst many of our roles will be temporary over the festive period, there may also be permanent opportunities available – please check the contract type and hours before applying to ensure that the role is right for you.
Love life on the road? Then you’ll have a great time behind the wheel, delivering our customers’ online orders. Being a Driver at Sainsbury’s is a job that promises real variety and the opportunity to get out there and meet customers. It’s a hands-on role where you’ll make things happen at pace.
Being a Sainsbury’s Driver isn’t just about delivering goods on time and in great condition. It’s about being yourself, offering a friendly approach and a service that will really wow our customers. We’ll expect you to make every delivery a great experience, always doing the right thing for our customers and keeping them aware of any delays, so they ask us to drop their shopping off again and again.
You’ll be fully licensed to drive but we will ensure you are coached in driving our delivery vans and also trained to deliver great service to our customers. When you’re not out on the road, you’ll help out in the store.
It is a legal requirement that candidates must be at least 18 years or over and have held a full manual or automatic driving licence for at least 12 months (with no more than 6 points on your licence). We’ll ask you to complete an online driving risk assessment as part of your interview and, if you’re successful, there’ll be a driving assessment when you join us.
As well as a market leading rate of pay we provide guaranteed hours so you can plan for life around work, you’ll have a van to drive and we’ll arrange insurance and pay for your fuel. Plus, we also offer a great range of benefits for all our colleagues:
- Discount card – provided after 4 weeks that gives you 10% on most items in Sainsbury’s, Argos and Habitat. Discount is increased at Sainsbury’s to 15% every pay day for five days plus 15% at Argos on selected weekends during the year.
- Additional benefits for Christmas 2022 – to support our colleagues this Christmas, once you have 4 weeks’ service, we will uplift your Sainsbury’s discount to 15% at Sainsbury’s from mid-November through to January 2023. Argos discount will increase to 15% for one day every payday Friday until Christmas. Plus, all of our stores will be providing free food and hot drinks for Colleagues working over the festive period.
- Generous holiday entitlement – based on the hours you work.
- Family leave – generous maternity and paternity leave.
- Pension – Sainsbury’s will match between 4-7% of your pension contributions.
- Sainsbury’s share schemes – allowing you to save directly from your pay to buy Sainsbury’s shares at discounted prices and the option to buy shares each time you are paid to build up an investment.
- Wellbeing support – including free access to Unmind (a mental wellbeing app) and our Employee Assistance Programme which is a confidential service providing emotional support, practical information and guidance on a wide range of topics, such as legal information, financial information and short-term counselling.
- Colleague networks – a range of internal networks that create an environment where every single colleague can be themselves and fulfil their potential.
- Cycle to work scheme – hire a bike and accessories, saving on tax and national insurance.
- Shopping discounts – special offers on gym memberships, restaurants, holidays, retail vouchers and more.