Bring us some food preparation experience and we’ll give you full accountability and ownership of your area.
Offering delicious, great quality food at competitive prices has always been at the heart of Sainsbury’s offer so, naturally, as our dedicated Food Production Manager, you’ll have a special part to play in the success of your store.
Yes, you’ll have the support of your colleagues in the management team, but this is your domain. You’ll be the technical expert: you set the quality standards and inspire your team to deliver the kind of service our customers have come to expect.
It’s a great time to join Sainsbury’s. Each of our in-store leadership roles is structured to help managers focus on what they do best. Of course, things move quickly in food production but you’ll always understand what’s expected of you, giving you time and space to make the right decision. Add to that the support and benefits that come with being part of one of Britain’s best-loved retail brands and this is a great chance to move your career to the next level.
What you’ll be doing
Our purpose is that driven by our passion for food, together we serve and help every customer.
Your brief: to manage the entire food production operation in one of our busiest stores – managing people and processes across bakery, pizza and hot food. You’ll deal with day-to-day pressures and plan ahead for the next couple of weeks. Anything that ensures we deliver a range of food products that meet our quality standards, including agreeing shift patterns – allocating tasks and areas of focus, being a visible leader for great service; coaching and motivating your team to work together productively, and solving performance issues – giving honest feedback, supporting people through change and setting expectations.
What success looks like
This job could definitely be a step up for someone who’s ambitious to grow. Here’s how you’ll know you’re on track:
- You’re making decisions at pace and consistently providing a brilliant handover to the next shift manager
- Your team put themselves in our customers’ shoes, taking pride and passion in how we can deliver them great products whilst making things better for them
- Coached by your manager, you’re developing your confidence – you won’t have all the answers. You feel increasingly empowered to run your section of the store
- You’re building your profile and cultivating effective relationships with colleagues, customers and other managers across the store
We’re open minded about your background. You could be leading a food preparation team anywhere: retail, hospitality, a restaurant – bakery skills would be a bonus. Perhaps you’re looking for a new challenge after a career break or transferring to retail with skills from another sector.
Wherever you’re working now, you’ve demonstrated you can make a difference. What matter most is you – you’re ambitious to develop, dedicated to bringing out the best in others and, like all of us, passionate about customer service and great food. After all, that’s what our stores are all about.
The Sainsbury’s instore management structure is designed precisely to help people like you to progress, and where everyone has the support and the opportunity to deliver excellence. You’ll be coached by your manager to deliver great performance, whilst having plenty of scope to develop.
As a Food Production Manager you could move into a Lead Manager role in Food, In-store Customer Experience, Clothing or General Merchandise. Looking further ahead, it’s great preparation for a Store Management role or a leadership challenge across the Sainsbury’s family: Habitat, Tu, Argos, Sainsbury’s Bank and Nectar 360. Trust us – we know how to make the most of your potential.
Salary will be dependent upon your experience as well as the store size, complexity and location. Alongside this, we also offer a great range of benefits for all our colleagues, including:
- Discount card (after 12 weeks) for you and a second user that gives you 15% off your Sainsbury’s shopping for five days every pay day, and 10% off at Sainsbury’s, Argos and Habitat throughout the year
- Generous holiday entitlement, maternity and paternity leave
- Pension – we’ll match 4-7.5% of your pension contributions
- Sainsbury’s share scheme – build up an investment at discounted prices
- Wellbeing support – access to emotional support, counselling, legal and financial advice
- Colleague networks – link with like-minded people to help fulfil your potential
- Cycle to Work scheme – hire a new bike and cycling equipment, whilst saving on tax and NI
- Special offers on gym memberships, restaurants, holidays, retail vouchers and more
Click ‘apply’ to start your Sainsbury’s journey