Location – Home and Coventry or London
In Sainsbury’s Tech we build the technology which powers the UK’s number 1 multi-channel, multi-brand retailer.
The Delivery Manager is accountable for leading and co-ordinating team activity where the product or change required involves significant third-party engagement and/or where there is complex planning and dependency management. This also includes our most complex programmes, involving delivering across multiple teams spanning the breadth of our business and brands.
Reporting to the Engineering Manager / Head of Engineering / Senior TPM, the Delivery Managers are a leading force within their engineering team or broader business, driving forward and delivering changes and enhancements to products or broader business outcomes at pace, and in line with Sainsbury’s Tech Operating Framework and Technology Principles.
Insightful, trusted and tenacious, Delivery Managers navigate the complexity and uncertainty which comes with delivering at pace; building strong relationships with those they work with both within their technology team and the wider organisation. Some of our most complex delivery programmes require the highest level of thinking, managing a broad agenda and involves managing complex sequencing and dependencies
What I need to do
- Play a leading role on your programme(s), co-ordinating delivery across a number of engineering teams in order to realise an important business outcome, this could be a standalone programme or a stream within a larger programme of delivery.
- Partner with engineering teams and key stakeholders to deliver new products or complex changes, utilising appropriate delivery methodology, including agile ways of working
- Support the engineering team to identify and agree packages of work with suppliers
- Partner with Procurement and Supplier Management to lead the supplier selection processes where products require significant third-party involvement, ultimately becoming accountable for establishing and managing the ongoing relationship with the supplier selected; ensure engineering team are aware of and deliver against their obligations to third parties, intervening and mitigating potential issues
- Plan significant deployments across a number of products, ensuring relevant dependencies are identified and managed, including external dependencies beyond own team remit
- Create and maintain roll-out schedules, track progress, always ensuring key stakeholders are kept up-to-date and risks & issues are appropriately managed, mitigated and communicated
- Spot and surface key risks and issues early, building a sensible approach to mitigation, securing support of stakeholders as and where necessary
- Coach others to help them understand the rationale for a technical approach, surfacing and dealing with ambiguity and conflicting demands; escalate where appropriate to resolve prioritisation conflicts
- Conduct post implementation reviews to drive a culture of continuous improvement, ensuring the learning is fed through the wider Tech approach to delivery
- Ensure products are delivered in accordance with the Sainsbury’s Tech Operating Framework and technology principles, and evolve these in line with requirements and learnings
- Actively contribute to the Delivery Practice, supporting the creation and implementation of a career framework and community, continually share own personal learnings / best practice
How I will succeed
- Engage and excite teams about the benefits of a lean and agile approach to delivery management, helping to create a culture of outcome driven planning and prioritisation to maximise value delivered to the business
- Comfortable working with technical detail, when needed, knows the technical landscape and able to understand and describe technical choices and trade-offs to different stakeholders in and outside Tech
- Able to break down the big picture into manageable chunks to enable delivery, by creating clarity from ambiguity with support from a Senior TPM / Senior Engineeing Manager when needed.
- Work closely with colleagues across immediate team, Tech and the business as needed, including Product Managers, Engineers and senior stakeholders earning their trust and securing their support
- Able to work at a conceptual level whilst also being prepared to get into the technical specifics
- Eye for detail, disciplined to ensure the structure and governance underpinning delivery of your programme is fit for purpose
- Proactively identify, mitigate and manage risks and issues ensuring success of the team, product(s), business outcomes; open minded and able to quick pivot approach based on learnings
- Great judgement, focusing on the most critical/impactful activities and making best use available resources
- Influence brilliantly through timely communication of relevant information up to Divisional Director level, translating complex/technical issues to meet the demands of their audience
What I need to know and show
- Successful track record of delivering technical programmes in an agile and product environment, with significant third party or deployment complexities
- In-depth understanding of agile values, principles, practices and associated approaches as they relate to delivery management
- Familiar with key techniques and frameworks for structuring programmes including but not limited to effective planning, dependency identification and management; risk and issue management; decision making and effective communication; able to make the right decisions, at the right time throughout the delivery life-cycle
- Ideally, but not essential, a good grounding in technology and software delivery, e.g. system design, software development or infrastructure management
- In-depth understanding of Sainsburys Tech Operating Framework and Technology Principles, and awareness of external factor, including industry best practice
- Ability to review processes and drive change through continuous improvement
- Proven planning and prioritising skills in order to deliver business outcomes to achieve deadlines.
- Clear and regular communication, in control of delivery schedules and customer impact dates, critical KPIs, technical deliverables, dependencies and opportunities, managing conflicting priorities and robustly challenging at all stages of the programme
- Able to participate in technical detail, where needed, showing an understand of the technical landscape and can describe technical choices and trade-offs to different stakeholders within and outside of Tech
- Matrix leadership skills with the ability to apply these at scale
- Highly commerciality always looking to deliver the best outcome for Sainsbury’s
- Ability to work independently and proactively
Resources available to me
- Line manager and broader delivery community / practice
- Technical subject matter experts from across the Tech Domains
- Procurement and Supplier Management (where there are significant third party dependencies)
- Business colleagues assigned to the project
- Budget specific to third party investment
- Training and development materials and initiatives (both internal and external)
What decisions I can make
- Choice on delivery management approach, aligned to Sainsbury’s Tech framework and principles
- Approach to roll out and deployment plans for the team
- Recommendations to Senior Engineering Manager / Senior TPM re: third party appointments and optimal delivery methodology for broader programmes
As well as lots of on-the-job training and endless opportunities, you’ll get:
Colleague discount across our multi-brands – Sainsbury’s, Argos and Habitat
Special offers on gym memberships, restaurants, holidays, retail vouchers and more
Work-life balance is important to us, so we offer our colleagues as much flexibility as possible in line with the needs of their role. We trust them to decide how, where and when they work, combining remote and collaborative working with a flexible approach to hours, giving them plenty of time and space for life outside of work whilst delivering against our business goals.