We’re looking for an energetic, hard-working team player to join our UK/Corporate External Communications team based in London.
Sitting in the recently formed and fast-growing Corporate Affairs function, the external communications team plays a vital role in enabling Primark to earn and keep the reputation and trust that is critical to its long-term success.
The successful candidate will be a key member of the team on that journey, joining our dynamic and fast-paced global press office, working closely with counterparts based in Dublin and other markets.
As an international retailer in 14 markets, no two days are the same, and you’ll get to work on a wide range of projects across our business. From store openings and exciting new partnerships, to our ambition to make more sustainable fashion affordable for everyone – you’ll get the chance to make a real difference and play a key role in telling our story. This is a busy role, so we understand that you will value flexibility and so do we. We offer hybrid working, flexible start and finish times to suit you, 2pm Friday finish so you can start your weekend a bit earlier and generous annual leave so you can switch off and relax.
- Creative storytelling: Enable Primark to proactively tell its story across different audiences and channels.
- Media engagement: Facilitating media opportunities, including in our stores, e.g. managing broadcast and filming requests.
- Managing incoming UK media enquiries including gathering information from across the business, drafting responses and managing the press log.
- Key member of the press office team, providing out of hours and weekend support as part of on-call rota.
- Supporting on the drafting and delivery of communications plans across a wide variety of subjects, including drafting key messages, press releases and Q&As.
- Monitoring media coverage daily, flagging key articles and issues with the External Communications team and wider business when required. Monitoring coverage across industry and competitor landscape, keeping up to date on all things fashion and retail
- Developing spokesperson briefing documents, talking points and supporting media training in preparation for interviews
- Supporting on content creation for key projects and announcements, including infographics and video content.
- Supporting the External Comms team and wider business with the ongoing roll-out and implementation of our Primark Cares sustainability strategy across all of our markets, including developing comms materials for various Primark Cares product campaigns and initiatives.
- Working with our Customer Service and Social Media teams in responding to issues and customer complaints, helping to draft responses and track any potential brand damaging issues
- Working closely with our Brand, Fashion Communications and Internal Communications teams to ensure alignment of strategy and messages across key campaigns and general comms activity.
Essential knowledge, skills and experience:
- Media experience and savviness is essential; we’re looking for someone who has experience developing news hooks and spotting proactive media opportunities as well as being confident in speaking to the media both proactively and reactively.
- 3-4 years + experience working in a media relations role – experience working with or for a consumer-facing brand and retail/fashion/FMCG experience preferred.
- Experience with issues/crisis management, with the ability to work under pressure and operate in a reactive environment.
- Excellent communications skills, including strong writing capabilities and attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and experience in building relationships with a range of stakeholders internally and externally.
- A proactive can-do attitude and ability to manage a range of priorities and deadlines.
- Creative and independent thinker with an aptitude for coming up with fresh and innovative ideas and challenging and evolving ideas already in place.
- Well versed in social media tools and other related programmes including media monitoring and brand/reputation tracking.
Why work with us?
At Primark, we know how hard everyone works to achieve our business goals and our competitive salary rewards this. We’ll provide you with a progressive career path, because clear advancement is what we’re all about at Primark. We’re always open when talking about your development, supporting with further education or in house solutions. We also offer flexible working, a 2pm finish on Fridays so you can start your weekend early, health care and bonus.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation, age or any other diversity factors. Please inform your recruiter if you would like to request an accommodation within the application and interview process. All information disclosed with be kept confidential