Mitie was founded in 1987, Mitie is the UK’s leading facilities management and professional services company, looking after a large, diverse, blue-chip customer base, from banks and retailers, to hospitals, schools and government offices. Mitie has over 77,000 people, 100+ office locations, and thousands of customers across the country, there’s no limit to what you can achieve if you work for us.
Job Description: Energy and Controls Manager
Location: The position is a field-based role supporting our client’s site in Osterley, London but will also involve working from home and other sites as required.
Mitie is the UK’s leading facilities management and professional services company, looking after a large, diverse, blue-chip customer base, from banks and retailers, to hospitals, schools, and government offices. Mitie has over 77,000 people, 100+ office locations, and thousands of customers across the country, there’s no limit to what you can achieve if you work for us.
Plan Zero is Mitie’s initiative to make net-zero carbon happen. Our knowledge of customer estates, combined with our ability to execute a zero-carbon strategy from assessment through to delivery is, we believe, unrivalled. Our customers include the biggest organisations in the UK and to date we have saved them over 353,000 tonnes of carbon.
We believe every organisation has a responsibility to act to reduce their impact on the planet and we are recruiting talented, passionate people to help us make Plan Zero happen.
Our key drivers are Zero Carbon, Zero Waste and Significant Biodiversity Net Gain.
How you will make Plan Zero happen
Following significant growth in contracts, Mitie Energy are now seeking to recruit an experienced and enthusiastic controls and energy manager in the London region, to join our established and successful team of professionals.
The controls and energy manager will have a key role in the delivery of the energy performance objectives across a customer’s estate.
Working closely with the Energy Manager and Site Facility Managers, the controls and energy manager will be responsible for developing bespoke BEMS solutions for each site in the portfolio and assisting to support the local team’s energy efficiency efforts. This role is focused on ensuring that the building and energy management system (BEMS) on each site delivers the required environmental conditions in the most energy conscious way possible.
What will you do day to day?
The primary objectives of this role include:
- To ensure each site BEMS program is operating efficiently to provide the required environmental conditions with the lowest possible energy usage.
- To support and work with the engineers and site teams to achieve energy reduction, through BEMS strategy changes
- Analyse existing BEMS programmes, site requirements and energy consumption data in conjunction with the Energy Hub and Energy Manager to identify quick wins and long term energy productivity measures to ensure the contracts are delivering their requirements, and opportunities for cost savings and revenue enhancement are acted upon.
- To identify, recommend and implement energy saving initiatives through new technologies and relevant business cases.
- Delivery of energy savings across the estate without compromising agreed environmental conditionals
- To take responsibility to initiate BEMS operation changes to improve the energy efficiency of the site whilst monitoring the results and ensuring the local teams understand the objective of any changes.
- To ensure that BEMS remote communications, networking and alarms are functioning in a reliable and effective manner.
- Support these existing contracts with a view to reducing costs, increasing revenue, and driving down costs for our customers
- To provide support and assistance to all areas of the business on control, energy, and environment issues.
- To assist in the specification and procurement of building energy management systems through surveying and site reporting.
- To programme and commission energy management systems or work with sub-contractors to ensure maximum energy saving benefits from such systems are achieved in accordance with contractual requirements.
Who will you work with?
The Energy Management consists of a team of around 40 engineers, managers and support colleagues. You will be an integral part of this team whilst more locally being part of the London and Southern region where you will report into the Regional Energy Operations Manager. Additionally, you will work with alongside a broad range of people and departments in this role, including other Engineers, Energy Managers, Facilities Managers, and Measurement and Verification Professionals.
You will need to be suitably qualified and experienced with a market leading Building Management System and have a strong technical understanding of energy management or have an interest in energy management.
Experience & Skills
- Experience in BEMS programming and the use of the Trend System Engineering Tools (SET). Other BEMS experience, such as Cylon, is desirable.
- Experience in setting up and maintaining Trend IQ networks and remote communications. Have a sound knowledge of Trend IQ 2,3 and 4 programming and commissioning.
- Excellent understanding of building mechanical & electrical building services including HVAC, Building Energy Management Systems and lighting control systems.
- Strong knowledge of BEMS communications protocol such as BACnet and Modbus
- Facilities management awareness is desirable
- Understanding of energy management processes and techniques
- Analytical approach to using data to enhance business performance.
- Good commercial skills, with some experience of project management
- IT literate in MS Office software
- Ability to manage own workload within tight deadlines and to a high standard
- Requires ability to be a comfortable self-starter
- Excellent communication and people skills
- Good Team interaction skills to be able to closely work with site teams at all levels
- Good planning and organisational skills
Interest in ongoing learning and development through personal and work related training